Pages

Tuesday, September 03, 2002


I happened across this page while stumbling around at OISE/UT looking for an e-mail address for the registrar.

Seems they'd sooner you'd visit in person rather than "electronically." Full rundown of "office" hours for the month of September, but nary so much as a phone number, let alone e-mail, for those Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC)/"distance[ed?!]" students.

Classes begin next Monday, so I'm hoping to get a seat in a course sooner vs later.

I've also had difficulties getting registered for online courses in the past. I'm sure this helps to explain why so many CMC courses have a face-to-face (F2F) component. In fact, there is often a F2F "initiation" where students learn about software applications, form study groups and generally get acquainted with people and process.

That said, I like being able to work and live 2000+ km away from the physical campus as I complete degree requirements -- it adds to my learning of CMC-based pedagogy. The "medium is the message" -- if I may.

There is considerable debate regarding the merits of a "CMC-only" education. The only thing I know for sure is that I'm happy to be completing my Master's of Education degree entirely online. The opportunity to attend graduate school at a Canadian "ivy league" university -- completely via CMC -- provides a context for learning and research into the connection and literacy issues germane to CMC-based education.

No comments: