Pages

Friday, August 09, 2002


A post from vacation. "What I'm doing on my summer vacation," if you will.

I'm in Moncton, New Brunswick -- Canada's only officially bilingual (English/French) city -- after a week in Ontario. For the past two weeks, I've been cottaging, golfing and catching up with family and friends in Eastern Canada. I'm having a great time.

Last week I golfed Eagle Creek in Dunrobin, ON was especially fun. It's designed by Ken Venturi and presents a challenge. Many "risk-reward" holes and hard-to-read greens make this a tester for golfers of all levels. The advanced tees present opportunities to "run" the ball to the green. Forced carries over water and waste bunkers are in store for golfers from the other tee boxes.

The course "played long" because it was soaking wet from thunderstorms the night before and I struggled to a 102 -- the first time in a while that I wasn't able to break the century mark.

I've just booked a time for tommorrow at Royal Oaks, "the first Canadian course designed by Rees Jones." My father-in-law tells me that George H. Bush played there last week. I'm looking forward to playing the course and hope that I able to score a little better than I did at Eagle Creek -- I'll be back with a post following the round.

No comments: