Pages

Monday, January 14, 2002


Over the past week I've learned a lot about Instructional Design (ID), knowledge and learning objects, online delivery and all manner of things related to the design and delivery of online curricula; however, rather than reflect on the learning I did online over the past week I'd rather reflect on the learning I did onhill.

Every day for the last 8--I've been to the local ski hill to practice my snowboarding.
I've been snowboarding for a few years and recently bought a new 'board. Prior to this most recent purchase, I've been riding a race board I bought 2nd-hand a couple of years ago.

Race boards are unidirectional--designed to be riden in one direction and are typically narrower than freeride boards. Snowboard racers also wear hard boots. This type of snowboard boot is more like a ski-or hard-shell mountaineering-boot than what most people think of when they think of snowboard boots. Using hard boots on my freeride board came about when I found that the soft boots I bought with the board didn't fit.

Anyway, back to what I learned about riding, over the past week I learned that:

  • You can ride a freeride board with hard boots
  • You can make "skidded" turns on a board in hard boots
  • I prefer heelside turns to those on my toeside
  • Body rotation is the key to turning your board
  • Edging--amount and timing--is nearly as important a part of turning
  • Snowboarding is a great way to take your mind off work and school
  • I'd rather be onhill than online

One thing I wonder about...can you teach 'boarding online? Probably
not...but you might be able to present some principles and provide a
background to build on. Maybe approximate the "baseline" or "introductory"
learning advocated by Wendy Collins in her
chat
session on the ASTD site.

What about a software/hardware "simulator" kit for my personal computer?
I plug in my USB-connected "'board cradle"TM into the back of my PC
and I'm "live" onscreen? Why not?
Stranger things have happened in the world of electronics.

Besides, wouldn't it be great to take a virtual ride of a mountain you were planning to visit?

No comments: